A dizzying array of electronic products exist for online and mobile gambling. When it comes to the mobile gaming industry, players can find a huge selection of smartphones and touchscreen tablet computers. Most are perfectly fine for online casino gambling, sports betting, and poker playing. Still, some stand out from the others and are popular choices for online and mobile gamblers.
Read our guide to online gambling devices below. We go over the most popular smartphones and tablet computers in the US and global markets. We discuss brand names and operating systems, and show which are the most popular among American players and international users. Keep reading to get the full information before buying mobile devices for gambling purposes.
Online Gambling with Mobile Smartphones
The two main choices for gambling online with mobile smartphones are Android smartphones and Apple iPhones. Most online casinos, bookmaker sites, and poker rooms have individual mobile gaming apps for Android and iOS devices. Third options don’t get much support from online gambling sites.
More online gambling sites have no download mobile gaming options. Instead of downloading an app, they have games that open in the mobile web browser. This circumvents the need to find a mobile smartphone or tablet computer that’s compatible with the gambling site’s mobile gaming app.
With that in mind, here is the global data for US and global mobile device sales. This helps players pick a mobile device because gaming sites inevitably will focus development on the mobile brands with the biggest sales figures.
U.S. Mobile Sales Percentages: Android and iOS
The U.S. mobile device market’s sales percentage breakdowns for Android devices, iOS devices, and other mobile OS devices can be found in the search results. In September 2023, Android accounted for about 53.9 percent of the mobile OS market in North America, while iOS accounted for around 45.6 percent.
According to another source, as of October 2023, Android had a 69.74% market share worldwide, iOS had a 29.58% market share, and Samsung had a 0.36% market share. In the U.S., Apple dominates the market with a 57.39% market share, while Android has a 42.27% market share.
U.S. Mobile Device Market Sales Percentage Breakdowns
What Are Android Mobile Devices?
The Android mobile device market includes a variety of famous brands, including Samsung, Motorola, and Google Pixel. The breakdown below shows how we arrive at the 53.9% figure for Android devices above. For our purposes, “Other” refers to devices like LG, ZTE, Alcatel, OnePlus, and so on.
Android Device Percentage Breakdowns
- Samsung: 23%
- Motorola/Lenovo: 9%
- Google Pixel: 3%
- Other Devices: 10%
Global Mobile Sales Percentages: Android and iOS
The global mobile device market’s sales percentage breakdowns for Android devices, iOS devices, and other mobile OS devices are as follows: Android has a 69.67% market share, iOS has a 29.64% market share, and Samsung has a 0.37% market share.
Android takes the top spot at a 70.89% market share globally, beating iOS by a 42.53% difference, which has a 28.36% market share. Samsung’s Galaxy S series Samsung’s most famous line of smartphones. Galaxy S series devices are direct smartphone competitors of Apple’s iPhone series. The South Korean company sold 260 million smartphones worldwide in 2022 alone.
The following figures show the global smartphone market share for Q1 of 2023. These fluctuate by a few percentage points each quarter. Samsung’s percentage sales fluctuate between 19% to 23% over the past two years, but the 22% figure represents the latest accurate and verifiable figures we have. The same fluctuations go for Apple iPhone, Xiaomi, OPPO (OnePlus), Vivo, and others.
Global Mobile Device Market Sales Percentage Breakdowns
- Android: 79%
- iOS: 21%
Android Global Market Share: Samsung, Xiaomi, and OnePlus
How do individual Android brands do on the global market? Here is a breakdown for the Android devices. Notice these percentages don’t reflect a percentage of 100% of global smartphone sales, but instead are a breakdown of the 79% global market share of Android smartphone sales.
Android Device Percentage Breakdowns
- Samsung: 22%
- Xiaomi: 11%
- OnePlus: 10%
- Vivo: 7%
- Other: 29%
The remaining 29% includes nearly 1,300 brands worldwide. Many include brands American players might know, such as Sony Xperia, Amazon Fire, Google Pixel, Motorola, Lenovo, HTC, and Asus. A lot of other brands are included in the Other category, such as BQ Aquaris X5 Cyanogen, Vodaphone, Wileyfox Storm, Nothing Phone 2,Iqoo, Realme GT, Huawei, Honor Magic, Pyongyang, and Ayya. It’s a huge list.
Using Tablet Computers for Online Casino Games and Sports Betting
The other main option for mobile gambling online is the touchscreen tablet computer. Tablets have bigger screens, which makes online slots play more entertaining. It also makes it easier to navigate the complicated betting layout of online roulette and online craps games. Live dealer games work better on tablet computers, while the live-streamed content is more seamless.
When it comes to online sports betting, navigating the sports betting page and finding the best odds is easier. That’s especially true of live betting pages, which update in real-time as sporting events happen. Online poker is affected only if you livestream your opponent’s moves, which is still fairly rare in the iPoker community.
Pros and Cons of Tablet Computers for Online Gambling
Many reasons exist for using a touchscreen tablet computer instead of a smartphone when gambling online. Below is a quick list of pros and cons. Below that, you’ll find a breakdown of the advantages and disadvantages of touchscreen tablets for online sports betting, casino gaming, and poker playing.
- Simple User Interface
- More Screen Space
- Multi-Touch Functionality
- Improved User Experience
- Better Menu Options
- Easy to Clean
- Saves Space: No Need for External Devices
- Not as Handy as Smartphones
- Screen Size Limitations
- Low Battery Life
- Difficulty in Direct Sunlight
- Proximity Required
- More Expensive
Advantages of Gambling with a Touchscreen Tablet
- Simple User Interface: Touchscreen devices usually have more simple user interfaces, making them easy to learn and operate for inexperienced users.
- More Screen Space: Since touchscreen devices have limited buttons, manufacturers can allocate more space for the screen, providing a better viewing experience.
- Multi-touch Functionality: Touchscreens that support multiple touch positions simultaneously enable zooming, dragging, and other gestures, enhancing user interaction.
- Combines Multiple Functionalities: A touchscreen combines the functionality of a mouse, keyboard, and monitor into one, making it easy to access all three at one point.
- Improved User Experience: Touchscreens offer an improved user experience compared to traditional interfaces such as physical keyboards, mice, and monitors.
- Efficient Selection of Menu Options: Touchscreens provide a quick and efficient selection of menu options, saving time for use.
- Easy to Clean: Most touchscreen devices are easy to clean, and some are even dirt, dust, and grease resistant, addressing hygiene concerns.
- Space-Saving: Touchscreens save a lot of space and eliminate the need for external devices such as keyboards or mice.
Disadvantages of Gambling with a Touchscreen Tablet
- Not as Handy: Carrying around a touchscreen tablet computer isn’t as handy as carrying a smartphone. Tablets don’t fit in your pants pocket or jacket pockets.
- Screen Size Limitations: The screen of a touchscreen device must be big enough to touch the buttons without missing them, which can be a limitation for some users.
- Low Battery Life: Touchscreen devices with big, bright screens and high computing power requirements often have a low battery life.
- Difficult to Read in Direct Sunlight: Touchscreens are much less efficient in direct sunlight and can be very difficult to read.
- Unresponsive Screen When It Crashes: If a touchscreen device were to crash, the whole screen would be unresponsive, making it challenging to recover without buttons.
- The Screen Gets Dirty: Touchscreens are prone to getting dirty, and users may need to clean them frequently to maintain visibility.
- Proximity Required: Users must be within reach of the touchscreen display, which can be a limitation in some situations.
- Not Suitable for Inputting Large Amounts of Data: Touchscreens are not very accurate and can be tiring to use for long periods, making them less suitable for tasks that require extensive typing.
- More Expensive: Touchscreen devices usually cost more than ordinary devices due to the added technology and features.
The Most Popular Electronic Products in the USA
Americans love a wide variety of electronic products. It’s a part of the American lifestyle to use electronic devices for work, entertainment, leisure, and gaming. Beyond that, US consumers buy electronic products for lifestyle reasons, such as tracking their health statistics, filming their time with family and loved ones, and posting to social media sites.
They buy electronics that improve sound quality in their music listening and media viewing while buying a lot of appliances that make dining in and cleaning their home easier.
The most popular electronic products in the US market include:
Apple’s iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy series are the leading smartphone brands in the US. As of September 2023, Android accounted for about 53.9 percent of the mobile OS market, while iOS accounted for around 45.6 percent.
Apple’s iPad and Samsung’s Galaxy Tab series are the top tablet brands in the US. As of September 2023, iOS had a 29.64% market share globally, while Android had a 69.67% market share.
Samsung, LG, and Sony are the leading brands in the US smart TV market. Smart TVs with 4K Ultra HD resolution are in high demand, offering a more immersive viewing experience.
Laptops and Desktop Computers
Apple’s MacBook and iMac, as well as Windows-based laptops and desktops from brands like Dell, HP, and Lenovo, are popular choices for US consumers.
Sony’s PlayStation and Microsoft’s Xbox are the top gaming console brands in the US, offering high-quality gaming experiences for both casual and hardcore gamers.
Wireless Headphones and Earbuds
Apple’s AirPods and Samsung’s Galaxy Buds are the leading wireless headphone and earbud brands in the US, providing convenient and high-quality audio experiences.
Apple’s Apple Watch and various fitness trackers from brands like Fitbit and Garmin are popular choices for US consumers looking to track their health and fitness activities.
Home Audio Systems
Brands like Sonos, Bose, and JBL offer a range of home audio systems, including soundbars, speakers, and subwoofers, to enhance the audio experience for US consumers.
Digital Cameras and DSLRs
Canon, Nikon, and Sony are the top brands in the US digital camera market, offering a range of options for both amateur and professional photographers.
Smart home appliances, including refrigerators, washing machines, and ovens, from brands like Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool, are gaining popularity in the US market, offering increased convenience and energy efficiency.
Best Mobile Devices for Online Gambling
If you want to buy a mobile device for online gambling, we point the way to a few less expensive versions that have all the features you need for seamless gaming. We include a smart TV for those who want to play online video games as well as enjoy online gambling.
- iPhone 11 Pro: Apple released iPhone 15 devices this year, so it’s a good time to buy an iPhone 11 Pro at a discount.
- Desktop Gamer Las Vegas: Desktop gamer devices are available through WooCommerce online. This desktop gamer helps players pick lottery numbers if they add the modification. The mod is a simple plugin, so installation is a breeze.
- Samsung Smart TV 4K Ultra HD: Instead of buying a Samsung smart TV in a retail store like Best Buy or an online merchant like Amazon, it’s available here for a discount price.
- Touchscreen Tablet: With all the talk above of online gambling with a touchscreen tablet, here is an example of a cheap tablet device that’s available for iGaming.
- Samsung Galaxy S10: Along with the iPhone, the Samsung Galaxy S series is the most popular mobile gambling device in the world.
Players will find a whole world of mobile gambling devices, whether they search online or buy at retail stores. The key is searching for excellent products at discounted prices. Trusting online merchants is not always easy, so getting electronic products from a trusted news source makes sense.
When buying a mobile smartphone or tablet computer for online gambling, remember to research the gaming sites as much as you do your electronic products. Not every online sportsbook, casino, or poker site is the same, so read our online casino reviews and bookmaker reviews for full research on the sites you join. As for mobile gaming devices, you now know the most popular options, so pick a mobile device and start gambling online today.
Mobile Gambling Product FAQ
Is mobile gambling legal in the US?
It is. Five US states regulate online casinos, while six US states regulate online poker. Thirty-eight states have regulated online sports betting. Though authorities in those states have a ban on offshore online gambling, they do not prosecute individuals who gamble online for real money.
If a US citizen launched their own online or mobile gambling site and collected money from it, they would be prosecuted. Individual players can engage in mobile gambling with no legal consequences in all 50 states.
Are mobile casinos legal?
Yes, many of them are. Mobile casino gambling apps exist in 5 US states. In the other 45 states, offshore mobile casinos accept US players.
Even though you’ll hear them referred to as unlicensed or unregulated mobile casinos, most offshore casino sites are licensed by international gaming agencies. Curacao, Panama, Costa Rica, Antigua, the Isle of Man, Malta, and Gibraltar are all hubs for gaming regulation and licensing. Thus, mobile casinos are not only legal, but they’re also legitimate and regulated.
Can I gamble on my phone for real money?
Yes, you can. Millions of Americans gamble on their mobile smartphones for real money every year. In fact, mobile gambling is now more than 50% of all online gambling activity in the USA.
Anywhere you go all day, you can gamble on your phone for real money. If you visit the doctor’s office, you can gamble on your smartphone. If you’re waiting for a seat at the restaurant, you can gamble on a mobile phone. The same goes if you’re sitting in the break room at work. Anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection should be good for real money mobile gambling.
How does mobile gambling work?
Mobile gambling works best when you visit a real money online casino, sportsbook, or poker site. These sites accept players from certain jurisdictions. Each of them has mobile gambling apps for Android and iOS device users. If they don’t, they have instant-play games that allow casino gaming in the mobile web browser.
When you find one of these sites, click “Register” or “Join” to start the signup process. Create an account, then log in and visit the Cashier page to make a deposit. Accept a welcome bonus, whether it’s from a casino, bookmaker, or card room. Once you do, you’ll be able to gamble on your mobile smartphone or tablet computer.
Now that you know how to gamble on your mobile device, read our list of casino reviews and sportsbook reviews. Pick out a good option for your needs, create an account, and start mobile gambling today.